Monday, June 09, 2008

The Great Quest

Since I live in a small town with gloomy weather and not a whole lot of social opportunities (not that I'm not a pre-serial killer loner anyway, heh heh heh) I've been trying all sorts of crafty hobby sorts of things to keep my brain active. Some of my favorites are:

Yarncraft -Knitting and crochet. I can make sampler squares of patterns and crochet flat things like scarves and afghans. I can even knit cables on flat things. Increasing and decreasing still make my brain hurt and I am the queen of dropping stitches, usually more than a foot into the piece. I love yarn though.

Beading: I've made a few pieces here and there. My mom wore one I made on a cruise last Spring and I made some keychains to sell at a fund raiser and a present or two. I even tried some bead weaving, which makes you cross-eyed quick after an 8 hour workday on the computer. I love beads though.

Poly-clay: My newest endeavor. Haven't actually made anything yet, just gathering some materials and information. I'd like to try making canes and there's a pattern for an embossed box that would be perfect to house my Tarot cards in. Not to mention making some pretty cool beads. I also liked the resin-water tidepool and koi pond. I may need a toaster oven. and some irridescent accent powders, and some pearl and granite clays, and . . .

Dollmaking: Polyclay good for faces. Plus I've had this irreverant and evil idea for a Dress-Me Anubis for years and I don't have the skills to make it a reality. A 2-3 foot tall black jackal-headed stuffed figure with a traditional Old Kingdom Pharoah's outfit (Suten) plus a tutu, a victorian striped swimsuit, a disco suit, maybe a cheerleader oufit (Harakhte, Harakhte, Ra, Ra Ra!) Hmmmm Apuat Ken? Red Carpet Thoth? Double hmmmm. Those articulated wood figures for artists with a new head? Surfer Champ Horus? I know, Dinner Date Osiris deluxe playset with perfumed fat cone and floating sarcophagus!

The Keen and Quing of Engwand. Hee hee hee hee hee. Snort.

2 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

Hey, you might enjoy Sarah's Homesteading blog. She can spin some yarns about yarn and also lives in our state!

Can't remember how I found her, but she is one of my RSS feeds on my Bloglines Info Overload hoopa-joop now.

The Moody Minstrel said...

The Keen of Engwand...??!?

Poly-clay...is that like Fimo?